Description of White Spirit
White spirit also known as: solvent naphtha, mineral spirit, varsol, mineral turpentine.
White spirit is a specialty refined product in the naphtha boiling range. It has a variety of uses including as an extraction solvent, a cleaner (paint thinner), or a degreaser. It is a common solvent in paints, lacquers, varnishes, aerosols, and asphalts.
The word “mineral” in “mineral spirits” or “mineral turpentine” is meant to distinguish it from distilled spirit (distilled directly from fermented grains and fruit) or from true turpentine (distilled tree resin).
Application of White Spirit
- Mineral spirits is a very powerful degreasing and cleansing agent for automobile and machinery part cleaning. The spirit eats away at oil and chemical grease and washes the part clean.
- Such spirits are even used to wash away dirt and grime from metallic objects and tools. Even dried paint, which accumulates on metal and thickens, can be dissolved and then washed off, on applying mineral spirits. This helps preserve the look and quality of the object, as opposed to scratching off the paint.
- They can be used as a solvent to erase mistakes made while painting.
- Wooden furniture which has been coated with a layer of lacquer, shellac or varnish, can be cleaned and polished with a small amount of mineral spirits. But first a small area of the furniture should be tested before complete use.
- It can be used to clean paint brushes, especially those used in heavy oils and paints.
- If sticky tape and price tags on glassware need to be removed, then dip a small ball of cotton in some mineral spirit and wipe off the sticker. Then rinse away the spirit.
- You can use mineral spirits on linoleum tiles to get rid of skid marks and scratches.
- Use mineral spirits to dissolve gum and other sticky resins, that are stuck to carpets or clothing.
- When combined with cutting oil, they are used as a lubricant for cutting threads.
White spirit packed in new or used 210 kg drums, iso tank, and IBC tank. Each 20-foot container takes 80 drums.
|Density||Kg/m³||0.740 min||ASTM D1298|
|I.B.P||°C||Min 60||ASTM D86|
|F.B.P||°C||Max 200||ASTM D86|
|Pour Point||°C||-30||ASTM D93A|
|Color Say Bolt||—||30||ASTM D156|
|Flash Point||°C||42 min||ASTM D56|
|Sulphur Total||ppm||0.2 max||ASTM D4294|
|Acidity of Residue||—||Pass||ASTM D1093|