Cutback Bitumen MC30 Description
Cutback Bitumen MC-30 is medium curing (MC) cut-back asphalt consisting of penetration grade asphalt cement and diluents or cutter of medium volatility. The diluents temporarily reduce the viscosity of the asphalt cement for ease of handling and application. Cutback MC-30 use in the road maintenance industry where it is used as a prime coat of the base course prior to placing the bituminous surface course.
Cutback Bitumen MC30 is a type of dissolved Bitumen. To produce this type, solvent oils such as kerosene are used in order to change bitumen into dissolved bitumen or liquid pitch, so that, during the consumption process, the solvent oil evaporates and bitumen residue to obtain the desired adhesion. In many countries, kerosene and other volatile petroleum-derived products are added as a cutter or cutback agent to bitumen to reduce (or cutback) the viscosity of the bitumen. The mixture obtained may be called cutback bitumen.
Medium curing is the most common category in cutback bitumen, among which, MC-30 grade has the highest demand. MC-30 is a medium curing cutback bitumen that contains 55% bitumen and has the lowest viscosity among all grades. It is black in color and is manufactured strictly as per the ASTM D 2027M-13 standard.
Its commonly used as a Prime Coating. It is homogeneous and will not foam (as observed visually) when heated to application temperature.
Cutback Bitumen MC30 Applications
The reduction in viscosity of the bitumen aids the construction of seal coats in road pavements as the softened mixture wets the chips more easily. The cutback agent evaporates from the seal coat, the cutback agent becoming a negligible component of the seal coat a few months after application. If significant amounts of the cutback agent remain in the seal coat an unwanted long term softening effect may result.
Cutback Bitumen MC30 are used as components for road maintenance industry where it is used as a prime coat of the base course prior to placing of the bituminous surface course.
This type of Bitumen is most commonly used as an adhesive material between road foundation and asphalt coating, in the road construction industry which includes superstructure and foundation.
Cutback Bitumen MC30 is used Priming of all non-bituminous road buses, provision of temporary surfaces(deviations)
Also, Cutback Asphalt MC-30 is suitable for primer sealing and can also be used in the manufacturing of asphalt pre-mix.
Cutback bitumen is used extensively in sprayed sealing applications, particularly in colder weather where they proved improved initial stone retention due to their lower viscosity.
- Prime Coat on Tight Surface
- Tack Coat
- Road Mix
- Easy to Apply
- Limitless Lifetime & Durability
Other uses include roofing as a waterproofing membrane and as an adhesive to stick chippings onto a flat, horizontal roof to minimize the effects of weathering from the sun.
- Although MC 30 is pump-able at ambient temperature, heating of the binder is recommended prior to spray applications.
- Special care must be taken whilst heating, as MC 30 contains flammable cutters that have a flashpoint of >40°C.
- Before priming, the surface of the base course should be well swept.
- The moisture content of the base course should be less than 50% of the Optimum Moisture Content.
- If the base is very dry, dampen slightly with water to prevent the formation of “fish eyes”.
- Apply with a calibrated distributor at a binder spray temperature of 55°C and a minimum road surface temperature of 10°C and rising.
- Drying time is dependent on the porosity of the base course as well as on the prevailing weather conditions. The prime must be allowed to dry before opening to traffic or proceeding with the construction of the surfacing
Properties of Cutback Bitumen MC30
MC30 is blended to a low viscosity to ensure that it penetrates the top 10mm of the base with the aid of the cutter, whilst depositing a thin film of bitumen on the surface to provide adhesion between the base coarse and the new surfacing.
Guaranty and Safety of Bitumen MC-30
Hj Oil guarantees the quality of cutback MC30 with the arrangement of the international inspector. By checking the quality and quantity of the bitumen on each shipment during the loading to the vessel. Also controlling the production by the QC team via batch test report before shipping.
Packing of Cutback Asphalt MC30
- Bulk as IBC Tank, Flexi Tank
- Reconditioned steel drums 203 lit., Net Weight: 185 ± 5 Kg
- New steel drums 203 lit., Net Weight: 185 ± 5 Kg
Specification of Bitumen MC30
|property||Specification Limit||Test method|
|Kinematic viscosity at 60°c , (cSt)||30||60||ASTM D2170|
|Flashpoint(tag open cup), °c||38||—||ASTM D3143|
Distillate, volume percent of total Distillate to 680°f(360°c)
|to 437°f(225°c)||35||ASTM D402|
|Residue from distillation to|
680°f(360°c), percent volume by the difference
|Test on Residue from distillation test|
|Penetration 77°f(25°c) dmm||120||300||ASTM D5|
|Ductility 77°f(25°c) 5cm/min cm||100||—||ASTM D113|
|Solubility in trichloroethylene %||99||—||ASTM D2042|
|Water, percent volume||—||0.2||ASTM D95|