Gilsonite in Drilling Fluid Loss Control
Drilling Fluid Loss Control
One of the important features of Gilsonite is it’s softening point temperature, Which has made Gilsonite effective in the following cases:
1- In oil-base muds, it is used as a fluid loss control agent
The addition of Gilsonite to oil well cements reduces slurry weight without loss of compression strength and acts as an effective bridging and plugging agent to seal fractures in weak formations while cementing.
2- In water-base muds, it is used as a shale-stabilizing additive and is difficult to evaluate unless tested at or above its softening point.
It helps minimize hole washout by stabilizing troublesome shales, and seals off highly permeable sands while reducing torque and drag
- As an integral component of premium drilling fluid products.
- The dissolved Gilsonite increases drilling fluid viscosity, providing lubrication, and together with the sealing off and stabilization of problem rock around the well bore, helps prevent the drill pipe from getting stuck in well.
Gilsonite prevents formation damage
Gilsonite forms a physical and chemical bond with permeable formations, creating an effective seal to prevent the passage of drilling fluid. By uniquely functioning as both a malleable and solid plugging agent, Gilsonite controls fluid loss and seepage, prevents lost circulation and protects reactive and low-reactive shale surfaces, even at elevated bottom hole temperatures.
Proven to strengthen the wellbore
HP/HT wells, shales and under pressured zones require specialized drilling fluids and wellbore-strengthening techniques. Adding Gilsonite to an OBM, SBM or WBM strengthens the well by:
- Reducing pore pressure transmission and sealing micro-fractures in shale and low-porosity sands
- Keeping interbedding formations intact
- Developing effective filter cake
- Providing a “smear effect” that creates a continuous protective sealant along the wellbore wall
The most effective additive to prevent differential sticking
Gilsonite minimizes the occurrence of stuck pipe and stuck logging tools by thoroughly sealing permeable formations – even in zones with a highly overbalanced pressure differential – and improving filter cake lubricity.
Gilsonite is the only drilling fluid additive that provides all of these benefits:
- Controls fluid loss and seepage
- Stabilizes shales
- Prevents lost circulation
- Strengthens the wellbore to increase wellbore stability
- Minimizes differential sticking
- Promotes effective filter cake development
- Performs in oil- and water-based drilling muds
- Performs in HP/HT environments
- Minimizes HSE risks
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ADVANTAGES
Naturally occurring Gilsonite has significant health advantages over synthetic products. Gilsonite is:
- Non-toxic (unlike coal or fly ash)
Packing of Gilsonite in lump and powder form
For Drilling Fluid Loss Control
FLC in lump form like rock packed in 500~1000 kg jumbo bag.
FLC 200 mesh packed in 500~1000 kg jumbo bag.
Drilling fluid additive 300 mesh packed in 500~1000 kg jumbo bag.
Drilling fluid additive 30-40 mesh packed in 500~1000 kg jumbo bag.
Drilling fluid additive 100 mesh packed in 500~1000 kg jumbo bag.
Drilling fluid additive 300 mesh packed in 25 kg pp bag.
Drilling fluid additive 200 mesh packed 25 kg multi-paper bag.
Drilling fluid additive 200 mesh packed 50 lbs. multi-paper bag.
Drilling fluid additive 30-40 mesh packed pp bag on pallet.